Medical Museum - June 2012: Southey Canula
June 07, 2012
The picture and description appear courtesy of Dr. M. Donald Blaufox, M.D., Ph.D, from his website: www.mohma.org.
Each month we visit Dr. Blaufox’s Museum of Historical Medical Artifacts to take a look back at the medical equipment that cleared the way for what patients encounter in doctors’ offices and operating rooms of today. Some equipment may be recognizable, while other inventions featured here have since become obsolete or have had their usefulness discredited.
Estimated Date: 1880
Name: Southey Canula
Manufacturer: Medical Supply Assoc.
Description: Beautiful inlaid 4.5“x 2.5“x 0.75 “ wooden oval box contains a set of four Southey trocars, which are on a metal frame that can lift up. The handle is made of ivory with a screw adjustment for the length of the needle. Adorning a brass plate on the cover are the initials ES. The entire outfit appears to be custom made. These catheters were used to drain edema fluid from the legs in people with heart or kidney failure. The greatly swollen limb was punctured with the needle and edema fluid was allowed to drain from the needle through the holes. This was a drastic cure for a cardiac condition that could not be accurately diagnosed or treated at that time.